I'm trying to get monospaced text in Photoshop to break mid-character. This is what the terminal does by default. Here's an example of what I want to happen:

Example of word breaking mid-character.

Here's what's happening in Photoshop: Example of word not breaking mid-character.

How do I force a word to break mid-character in Photoshop?

2 Answers 2


You could insert a soft-return by holding the Shift key down and hitting the Return key where you want the break. But you'd have to do this manually. This is different than hyphenation, no hyphen should be inserted.

Photoshop is simply not geared towards using long strings of text the way something like a Terminal is. It's kind of a given than someone is designing a Photoshop document, not simply using it as a text editor.

  • Drat, that's exactly what I'm designing-- a text editor. But your answer works, thanks!
    – Cat Blue
    Commented Apr 14, 2019 at 13:00

You must enable the Hyphenation in the Paragraph Panel.

I do not know how to get rid of the Hyfen, but I think it will solve your problem breaking the word.

See the image below:

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.