Back in the 1970s we used to have a projector-type device to make scale drawings of archaeological artefacts. It was a big beast with a glass drawing platform under a hood and handles on the front to adjust scale and focus. What was this 1970s scale drawing device called?

  • Hello Joncane and welcome to GDSE!
    – curious
    Apr 29 '19 at 13:56

Often they were called an "Artographs".

However, Artograph is actually a brand name - Similar to how many call all tissue "Kleenex" even though Kleenex is merely one brand of tissue.

Now days they are small projectors which can work with phones or other electronic photo devices.

But back pre-90s they were much larger and resembled traditional overhead projectors much more closely - merely designed to project vertically rather than horizontally:

enter image description here

You can read some history of the Artograph here. There were many various models - some designed to simply handle projections of flat images and others designed to project objects.


I don't know the specific thing, but probably an overhead projector will do:


  • Thanks for the info but the device I remember had a shelf arrangement for the object underneath the drawing glass. Presumably the image was reflected somehow on the underside of the drawing surface. I can see how the basic principle of the of the artgraph might be the same but on the device I use you could trace the image without throwing shadow onto the drawing surface.
    – Joncane
    Apr 28 '19 at 12:43

It was called a Viewer. It is in the "Commercial Art Projectors" section of an elderly catalogue.

There were several models made by the Goodkin Company. I'm holding the catalog in my hand.

There was the Model A viewer $695. The adjustable lights were an additional $895.
The 5B viewer was the cheapest at $495. Lights for it were an additional $645.
The Swivel-Top Goodkin was $695.

The text from the catalog is here

I'll try to add some of the illustrations when I can.


I have an old Goodkin Projector similar to the ones pictured in your catalogue. Pretty incredible machine. Don't think there's many around anymore unfortunately.enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.