I would prefer to do this in Animate, although if it's possible to do it in Photoshop, XD, or Illustrator instead, I would be interested in learning that technique as well.

In Adobe Animate, I can apply a radial gradient fill to a shape and then tweak the gradient with the Gradient Transform tool. However, I want to make a "squared gradient" which is a concept I am making up in my head since I've never seen it before in any graphics program.

What I want is something like a radial gradient, but rather than the gradient effect having a round shape, I want it to have a square or rectangular shape. In the image below, the best that I can achieve with a radial gradient is an oval shape.

enter image description here

What I want instead is a rectangular gradient fill that is clear in the center and fades to yellow at the edges, like in the image below:

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


You could simply apply a gradient to a thick stroke in Illustrator.....

enter image description here

Or as a Layer Style stroke set to Shape Burst in Photoshop....

enter image description here

I wouldn't know about XD or Animate.

  • This is terrific, thank you, Scott! It's a bit of a workaround to import from PS/Illustrator into Animate, but I'll mark this as the answer since it doesn't seem to be possible to do this directly in Animate. But if someone knows how to achieve this gradient effect natively in Animate I would be happy to know!
    – peacetype
    Commented May 26, 2019 at 18:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.