I have a GIF that I'm making in GIMP with some whites in the image. The color code before I turn the layers into a GIF is #ffffff. But when I open the image, the whites have been changed to #fdfffc. Is there some color profile setting I need to tweak to prevent this?
If you do the indexing explicitly (
Image>Mode>Indexed...) instead of letting Gimp do it automatically then you have more options, and one of the options is to provide a palette. The problem is now to come up with an adequate palette, but you can get Gimp's help:
- Open the RGB-mode image
Image>Mode>Indexed..... Tick "generate optimum palette" and set the maximum number of colors to
- Open the Palettes dialog (
- In Gimp 2.10, you will find at the top of list a palette called "Color map of image #1" (or #2, #3...).
- Right click it and duplicate it
- Double-click the copy to edit it, use the palette editor to add a 256th entry, and set it to white
- Back to the image, and Ctrl-Z to de-index it
Use custom paletteand select the palette you created above.