A musician in my country has these covers for his newest songs which all use some sort of wavy underwater effect.

Any ideas or pointers to how to achieve a similiar effect in Photoshop?

They look like this:

enter image description here enter image description here enter image description here


1 Answer 1

  • Look for an underwater image like this one from unsplash.com


  • Mask everything except the water


  • Use another image, like this one from unsplash.com


  • Put it under the Water Layer
  • Duplicate it at the top of the Water Layer and use the same mask but change the mask levels reducing the highlights

enter image description here

  • Duplicate the Object Layer in a new document and make a Duotone


  • Transform this Duotone into an RGB image and duplicate the layer to the original file
  • Change the blend mode, in this example to Hard Light


  • Add a masked Bubble Layer on top, Screen mode

    enter image description here

  • 1
    Some refraction would be nice. Spliting the guy into 3 pices for the 3 diferent zones.
    – Rafael
    Jun 9, 2019 at 21:46
  • Next lesson 👨🏽‍🏫😉
    – user120647
    Jun 9, 2019 at 22:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.