Does the image below have a style name? I want to see more images like this to be more familiar and inspire to make such these photos by adobe illustrator, Where can I find them?

enter image description here

  • Please read our requirements for style-identification questions and edit your question accordingly.
    – Wrzlprmft
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 8:37
  • @Wrzlprmft Ive done. Is it okay now?
    – Farid S
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 9:36
  • @user287001 plz write more clear. I didn't understand.
    – Farid S
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 9:38
  • There is no specific name for this. If you are looking for other examples on google try searching terms like "combining photo and illustration" or "photo and illustration collage", etc.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 10:05

2 Answers 2


It's useless to search an established term for this combination of photo, drawing and software effects. There are so many ways to combine photos with other images (drawings, paintings, sculpts). Many drawn parts have strong black outlines (=strokes). Stars and white dots are as well painted with scattering brush, symbol sprayer or by inserting them manually one by one.

I guess Illustrator would be more useful to make this composition because handling the mass of same looking symbols is there more flexible. The same is true for arranging shapes to regular looking patterns and inserting consistent colors and strokes.

Compositions starting from a photo have been made as long as photos have been easily available. This can be made as well with traditional tools outside the computer, only the drawing skills must be more finely tuned. That's because traditional tools often do not give a second try. That makes experimenting difficult, one must be able to imagine the wanted result more accurately. But the ability to imagine something not before seen is as important to a computer artist. Stacking colors, strokes and effects in a random way very rarely generates something interesting - at least, if one hasn't collected a loyal audience which accepts anything with the right signature.


The technique was used in the movie, A Scanner Darkly. Try using "A Scanner Darkly style image" as search term for an image search, if that's what you're asking.

  • 1
    It's not the same. The movie has posterized colors and edge detection filterings at least for the major characters of the scene . Questioner's image has redrawn clothes and many drawn add-ons, but the human is untouched.
    – user82991
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 18:49
  • But the principal is the same. It's a faux rotoscope effect. You can choose which parts of the image you wish to "cartoonify," it doesn't have to be the characters. In any event, the search term I suggested also pulls up a fair number of tutorials which might include a wider variety of images. I was simply trying to give him a starting point..
    – pbr
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 19:44
  • Erm, principle.
    – pbr
    Commented Jul 27, 2019 at 20:03
  • @pbr in this image it is clear is made by hand. thank toy anyway
    – Farid S
    Commented Jul 28, 2019 at 7:05
  • In film it is called Rotoscoping. It's not the same thing in static images.
    – Scott
    Commented Jul 28, 2019 at 7:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.