I was browsing through some artists pages on Twitter and I found these images:

enter image description here enter image description here

From this Twitter post.

I'm new at digital drawing, so I don't know how to ask, or what to look for in order to find out what it is, so I have two questions:

What are those blue lines outlining the line art of the first image? Is it done manually with a brush, or is it some effect layer?

Also, what is it that makes the image look "granulated"?

I'm not sure if I'm being clear enough, so let me know if you need more information. Thanks!

  • 2
    Looks like water colors (or simulated water colors). Aug 19, 2019 at 18:14
  • It's probably not digital other than scanning. My guess it its actually drawn and painted manually. Grain is introduced by the medium being used to paint on.
    – Scott
    Aug 19, 2019 at 18:48
  • @ZachSaucier, nice of you to edit, but the images are so small that you can hardly see the outline effect and the noise which is visible on the original images.
    – Wolff
    Aug 19, 2019 at 21:04
  • @Wolff Click on them and remove the last "m" from the URL then. Also the link is still there... Aug 19, 2019 at 21:05
  • 1
    If you found the artist's twitter feed, why don't you ask the artist directly?? For sure he'll know exactly what effect is that.
    – Luciano
    Aug 20, 2019 at 9:26

1 Answer 1


I can't tell you exactly how this was made. To me it looks like it was digitally painted somehow. Especially if I compare it to other images from the same artist.

Here are some tips on how to achieve the same look.

I made a quick sketch with black outlines multiplied onto some simple fills:

The effect on the outline looks like Red/Cyan Fringe, which is something you actually normally want to remove from photos. I use Filter > Lens Correction... and set the Fix Red/Cyan Fringe to -100%:

Which results in this:

This looks alright, but a little subtle, so I repeat the effect 3 more times using Alt + Ctrl + F:

That's more like it!

The granulated look can be achieved in many different, more or less sophisticated, ways. Here I simply flatten the image and use Filter > Noise > Add Noise... to add some subtle Uniform noise:

I think the result looks similar to your reference:

Experiment with the settings to fine-tune the effect.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.