In the image below, there are two circles drawn in two layers. The second circle overlaps some part of the first circle. Now how can I select the only the area of first circle so that it keeps the overlapping area of second circle?
- Press and hold your Ctrl / Cmd key;
- Hover over the thumbnail of the lower layer in the layers palette and click it—this will select all pixels in that layer;
- Release Ctrl;
- Press and hold your right Alt key (to the right of your space bar);
- Click the thumbnail of the other layer—this will remove all pixels in that layer from your current selection;
- Release Alt.
- Hold Control / Command and click on the Circle 1 thumbnail in the layer panel
- Then continue holding control / command, hold alt as well, and click on the Circle 2 thumbnail in the layer panel