enter image description here

I thought they were a halftone effect but i dont think it is. Is there a name for this style and how do I achieve it?

  • It appears to be a scan or photograph of cut out pieces of printed paper. The piece on the right shows a colour half-tone pattern - so it's not an effect technically.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Sep 8, 2019 at 8:19
  • It seems that what you like is the look of offset printed halftones with text overprinted on top. The raster dots looks like they are bigger than what you normally see in our time, so it has a retro look to it. Do you want to make an image like this to display on screen or do you want to make a physical print which looks like this?
    – Wolff
    Commented Sep 8, 2019 at 11:05
  • @Wolff sorry for the late reply but it would be nice to see it both on screen and print? is that possible?
    – user45100
    Commented Sep 13, 2019 at 12:53
  • The colour halftone b/g is a very coarse screen (low LPI ~ 10 to 20 LPI, say) of a floral image with semi-opaque overprinted text.
    – Stan
    Commented Oct 8, 2019 at 15:27

1 Answer 1


There are two things:

One is color halftone - a filter that simulate result of printing where each color dots are far enough to be separated with a naked eye yet close enough to make the picture readable.

Second is overprinting (¡es bueno!) an effect that show itself when there is no "knockout" under certain color/objects and the opaque paint is printed over/under another - this is achieved in photoshop by choosing layer blending mode.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.