Recently I've wanted to get into making a pop-up book for kids and upon my research I've seen it mentioned the pre-production process starting with a paper engineer. Since this question wasn't on the site and I think it falls under the production process I thought it might be an interesting question. What is a paper engineer?


There are a couple of books out there with related titles:

Paper Engineering for Pop-up Books and Cards - by Mark Hiner

Paper Engineering and Pop-ups For Dummies - by Rob Ives

And there is a STEM engineering teaching resource website which has a section on Paper Engineering in the specific context of popups:


And there's a site dedicated to popups in which there are listings for authors & paper engineers:


Which taken in concert lead me to believe that there's a recognised sub-branch of paper engineering which is specific to folding and popup paper products.

hope that helps.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.