does anyone know how I can create such a white-out/ burned-out font like in the example attached? Either in Photoshop or Illustrator.

It looks like the text sits in front of a very bright light so that that edges of the text are burned out. At the same time some of the letters are merged together at the edges.

see the edges of the text and the connections between the letters

I would be very thankful for any tips!

  • Looks like a font by Neville Brody
    – Mark Read
    Commented Sep 17, 2019 at 3:18

1 Answer 1


This is for Photoshop:

  • Use a bold font, and decrease the tracking so the letters are bunched up quite close together.
  • Convert the text layer into a Smart Object so you can still edit the text or tweak the settings later if necessary
  • Add some Gaussian Blur
  • Add a Levels Adjustment Layer as shown below

enter image description here

  • 1
    Yeah and then save a 70% quality JPG :)
    – Lucian
    Commented Sep 17, 2019 at 6:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.