Is there a common name for this kind of transition? This is a bit like a Slide Transition, but the content does not move here. (The animation looks jerky because of low FPS of the gif image. It's actually smooth.

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


In general this sort of transition is called a wipe. I might call it a "layered horizontal wipe". It's generally done by layering two images and then animating a clip path that's applied to the top image. Or you could fix the top image (so that it doesn't resize its dimensions) and animate its width.

It made me think of a lot of the transitions in Star Wars movies.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.