How do you classify Eurostile and similar boxy and wide typefaces? Geometric Sans Serifs come up as a suggestion, and I understand why, but I hope that there is another sub-classification for it.

  • I'm not entirely sure what you are looking for here, but Eurostyle is generally viewed as a "display font", for use in headlines or signs, i.e. for improved legibility at large sizes, as opposed to copy/body text at small sizes where it would be more difficult to read. Is this the kind of thing you are looking for? If so, I could add it as an answer.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Nov 4, 2019 at 12:25
  • Hmm, well I’m looking for a type classification that describes its form. Display seems too broad because it includes all type of shapes, even if I understand what you are saying. Someone suggested Square sans serif which might be clooser. Commented Nov 4, 2019 at 17:54

1 Answer 1


Eurostile is a Geometric Sans-Serif designed by Aldo Novarese. I believe you can sub-classify however you want, but that is just inventing new names - is it really necessary? Should we have fonts classified by their corner radiuses for example?

On Fonts.com search filters you can only see 6 classes:

  • Sans
  • Serif
  • Script
  • Display
  • Symbol
  • Monospaced

I believe these are more than enough to describe most typefaces correctly.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.