I have an image like this one:

enter image description here

I want to control the edges in order to gradually blend them, like this: enter image description here

Is there a function to do that in Adobe Photoshop? Thanks!

  • It seems like you are already doing it. How did you make the lower image and why can't you use that method? – Wolff Nov 29 '19 at 23:06
  • Substance Designer. I have to learn it from scratch and I though that I could achieve the same in Photoshop quickly. – user840718 Nov 29 '19 at 23:07
  • What do you mean by "learn it from scratch"? What your image is showing seems to using a gaussian blur. Have you tried that? – Billy Kerr Nov 29 '19 at 23:41

Here are two different methods to dynamically blur the edges of a shape.

Method 1: Gaussian blur a Smart Object

  • Right-click the layer and select Convert to Smart Object to convert your layer to a Smart Object and enable applying filters dynamically.
  • Enter Filter > Blur > Gaussian Blur to apply blur to the layer. Press OK when done.
  • Now a Gaussian blur filter is added to the layer. You can enter the settings at a later time by double-clicking the filter below the layer. You can now only edit the contents of the Smart Object layer by double-clicking it.

(This method affects every pixel of your layer.)

Method 2: Layer Mask with Feather

  • Select your layer.
  • Press Ctrl / Cmd + A to select all and then Ctrl / Cmd + C to copy the contents of the layer.
  • Create a black solid color layer.
  • Create a white solid color layer.
  • Hold Alt and left-click the layer mask of the white solid color layer.
  • Press Ctrl / Cmd + V to paste the contents of the layer into the layer mask. Press Ctrl / Cmd + D to deselect. (This only works so easily because your image was black and white to begin with. In a layer mask the darker tone the more transparent the layer gets.)
  • Now, in the Properties panel, you can dynamically control the Feather of the layer.

(This method only affects the edge defined in the layer mask, not the contents of the layer.)

| improve this answer | |
  • It works! Excellent...thanks! – user840718 Nov 30 '19 at 0:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.