My understanding is that a symbol in typography is often called a glyph. There are cases when one glyph is composed of multiple "components" with space in between them, e.g. :, ;, etc.

Is there any name for these "components" (e.g. one dot in a colon)?

  • Isn't "one dot in a colon" called a period? :) – Scott Jan 9 at 9:59

Most parts of letters are named, and there are some terms which only apply to a single letter. For example the spine of the S.

Here is a good article to read.


| improve this answer | |

I don't think there's a name for these "components", just like there's no name for the dot in the letter i, for example. They're just part of the glyph.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.