Here are the steps I done:
- Opened PNG (not transparent)
- Selected white areas that I want to make transparent.
- Layers > Transparency > Add Alpha Channel
- Deleted selected areas (I see transparency in GIMP)
- Saved as .xcf file.
- Exported as PNG (tried various format settings)
- Reopen PNG in Gimp or other software --> Background is always white, no transparency.
- Added a transparent layer behind my main image.
- Re-exported as PNG.
- (Optionally) tried changing "Lock alpha channel" on both layers.
- Reopened PNG in Gimp or other software --> Background is now always black, no transparency.
How do I actually export a PNG with transparency from Gimp ?