Some designers draw a border line around their artwork (for example: a logo). Most likely for the purpose of maintaining image contrast if the user displays the image in dark mode browser. I'm referring to the white line around the artwork in the image below.


1- What is the correct term of this specific technique/effect?

2- Is there a simple way of achieving it for Vector art in Inkscape?

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


There's no special term, although you could just call it an outline, and there are several techniques that could be used.

A semi-automated method is to make a copy of the design, make sure everything is ungrouped until there are no groups left, and do Path > Union or use the shortcut Ctrl++

Then do Path > Dynamic Offset or use the shortcut Ctrl+J, and adjust the control to enlarge the shape

Then place it behind the artwork by sending it to the bottom of the stack.


enter image description here

Another method instead of adding a dynamic offset would be to apply a thick stroke to the United shape instead.

A more manual option is to draw around the shape with the Bézier tool, apply a fill, and again, place it behind the artwork. I like this method the best, as it's the simplest, and allows for total control of the outline.


enter image description here

  • I have updated the title of the question to use the term "outline", so that this outstanding answer is more reachable by others.
    – mediocre
    Jan 16, 2020 at 7:01
  • Just made a feature request for the offset LPE: gitlab.com/inkscape/inbox/issues/1604
    – Moini
    Jan 16, 2020 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.