Which software allows to draw one shapes inside another ones with clipping? I need this to be done automatically, I know I can draw this in Illustrator with Pathfinder. Is there automatic ability somewhere?

enter image description here


Many graphic editors have clipping mask feature. But it doesn't match me since mask does not hold the content. I.e. if you move the mask, the "content" will stay in place. In need the content follow the container like window content following the one.

  • 1
    If you follow my example below, the content will move with the mask. – Brendan Dec 13 '12 at 15:59
  • @Brendan, cool! And how to move objects inside clipping mask and how to add new objects to it? – Suzan Cioc Dec 13 '12 at 16:16
  • Ah, I can "enter" the clipping group, cool! – Suzan Cioc Dec 13 '12 at 16:17
  • 1
    Double-click the hexagon to go into isolation mode (at least that is what happens when I do it; I'm using version 5.5), then you'll be able to move the objects inside. You can also draw new shapes while you are in there. If that doesn't work, select your group and go to the menu button on the Layers palette (top right corner) and then press Enter Isolation Mode. – Brendan Dec 13 '12 at 16:21
  • Yup, you got it :) – Brendan Dec 13 '12 at 16:21

If I'm understanding your question correctly, you're looking to use Clipping Masks. Here's how:

Draw your shapes.

enter image description here

Bring the shape that you want to be the mask to the front (Ctrl+Shift+] or Object > Arrange > Bring to Front).

enter image description here

Select all shapes and then create the clipping mask (Ctrl+7 or Object > Clipping Mask > Make).

enter image description here

If you want the mask to have a line, select it with the Direct Selection tool (A or the white arrow in the Tools palette) and then change the stroke color.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.