They did an awesome job of blending their website colors to the photos. I'm trying to figure out how to do the same.

enter image description here


You can use Gradient Map to achieve a similar effect. It basically converts your image to grayscale and maps the lightness of the image to a gradient of your choice.

  1. In the Layers panel, make a Gradient Map adjustment layer.
  2. In the Properties panel, click the gradient.
  3. Double-click the leftmost Color Stop, choose the wanted color for the darkest areas and click OK.
  4. Double-click the rightmost Color Stop, choose the wanted color for the lightest areas and click OK.
  5. Click OK and you're done!

The image might look a little flat after this treatment since the span from the darkest to the lightest color is less than in an ordinary B/W image. You might need to add some adjustment layers below the Gradient Map layer to increase the contrast of the image before coloring.

The gradient of the Gradient Map can be used for many different things. More color stops can be added and the transition between each of them can be customized. You can find inspiration in the presets.

| improve this answer | |
  • ...as explained in the duplicate I proposed 😉 – Vincent Feb 26 at 23:32
  • 1
    @Vincent, you might be right it's a duplicate, but I'm not sure. The result is quite different. The duplicate is really about making a "mono-hue" image which could be achieved by just multiplying a color on top of a grayscale image. This is about having different hues for the dark and light areas. – Wolff Feb 26 at 23:50

select photo.

from adjustment layer choose solid.

pick your color and creat clipping mask.

and reduce the 'clipping mask' layer opacity from layer panel..

kindly check the attached photo and the layer hierarchy.

hope it will help you.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • This is basically just an overlay – larry burns Feb 28 at 15:51
  • so mine wont serve the purpose? – Suraiya Abedin Feb 28 at 16:19

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.