I'm curious about the background of http://dribbble.com/ . I've seen something similar on a couple of other sites too.

What's it called?

How can I create something like with a different color?

Thanks for any pointers. I'm a non-designer trying to learn some design.


3 Answers 3


enter image description here

Both header and body part having gradient and inner shadow with some amount of noise. Play with sliders and you'll get the same result. I tried a bit just to show you; change values according to your needs...


It's called grey.

But if you're talking about the header, it looks like it's a vertical gradient with either gaussian noise or another gradient overlaid with a layer style of "Dissolve"


If you mean the background for the majority of the page, it's a linear gradient from white at the top to light grey at the bottom, and any graphics application will have a gradient fill tool which will interpolate between two or more colours.

Exactly how it works is dependent on the application.

(The other answers mention noise, which is interesting, as I can't differentiate it at all on my screen from the "background noise" of video compression - I'm remotely accessing a VM)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.