Photoshop: How do you make a blur not go over a layer under it without changing the layers level???

I remeber doing this on Photoshop but I can't remeber how to do it or I just did it a different way and forgot but I have looked every where and kind find anything about this.


  • Hi Ashley and welcome to GDSE. I don't fully understand your question. Please elaborate a little bit. "Blur" is normally an effect. Is it the dark lines you are calling "a blur"? Are they just on a normal layer? Does "without changing the layer levels" mean that you won't move the layers? If so then why? Please post an image of your Layers panel. Do you perhaps want to confine the lines to only be on top of the light square? Or do you want the light square to be unaffected by the lines?
    – Wolff
    Mar 29, 2020 at 16:39
  • I don't want to change the layers but I want to confine the blur(which is the darker lines) to the shape so that they don't go over the shape. Mar 29, 2020 at 19:50
  • So no lines on the light square? Why can't you just move the white square above the lines?
    – Wolff
    Mar 29, 2020 at 20:03
  • I want the blur inside the square I just don't want the blur to go outside of the square Mar 29, 2020 at 20:14
  • 1
    .. add a layer mask....
    – Scott
    Mar 29, 2020 at 20:50

1 Answer 1


I don't know exactly how your document is set up. If the light square is on a separate layer and has transparent background, you could do one of the following two things:

Create a Clipping Mask

  • Place the mouse cursor between the layer with the lines and the layer with the square which you want to confine the lines to.
  • Hold down Alt and left click.

Create a Layer Mask

  • Hold down Ctrl / Cmd and left click the layer with the square to select all non-transparent pixels of that layer.
  • Select the layer with the lines and click the Add layer mask button.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.