Can anyone help me identify the font used for the heading of the following poster?

enter image description here


2 Answers 2


It looks like Impact font to me judging by the long letters and somewhat condensed shapes. All they did was used a bevel or inside shadow effect and applied a warp or a text shape to the word. Check this link out and use show by its caps. http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/urw/impact/%7CImpact

Here's my quick rendition -- you can tell those letters match distinctively.

enter image description here

  • Yup, it's Impact all right. It's possible that the deep crotch in the Y has been tidied up a bit.
    – e100
    Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 12:28
  • 3
    yes, because there's nothing worse than untidy Impact crotches. Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 20:17
  • The distortion is likely an 'envelope' filter (Adobe Illustrator has them).
    – DA01
    Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 21:23
  • thank you. This is great. To clarify something, are those lines found inside the letters drawn or can they be created with a bevel?
    – Mohamad
    Commented Mar 22, 2011 at 22:47
  • Beveling would be the first thing I'd experiment with. Probably with a few tries you'll be able to get the same effect. I couldn't tell off-hand how to do that though as I haven't tried it yet. Good luck though!
    – Mike
    Commented Mar 23, 2011 at 4:54

We get a lot of font identification questions, you should check out this link.

However, I ran the header through WhatTheFont and some close matches were:

Interstate Compressed UltraBlack

enter image description here

Though, the R doesn't have the curve on the bottom...

Folio Bold Condensed

enter image description here

Though, the font isn't as heavy...

I hope this helps.

As for the "retro" effect, I would duplicate the font layer, and change it to black, and drag it down a little bit (creating this sharp shadow). Then, I would use the pen tool to create those lines you see on top of the letters. It also looks like all the letters have a stroke around them, so I would add a black stroke too.

This technique should be nearly identical in both photoshop and GIMP.

EDIT Mike's post includes the correct font, which is Impact.

  • +1 for providing sources and inline effect notes, but -1 for just giving the not-very-close matches from an automated identification tool.
    – e100
    Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 12:26
  • Hey, when I ran the scan, that's what I got e100 :P
    – Hanna
    Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 16:01
  • Yes, but (1) the user could run it themselves with the same results, and I think should be encouraged to do so before asking the question here (2) WhatTheFont's results are very patchy, e.g they seem to rate general proportion and weight over shape of letterforms. Impact is a very common font; it comes with either Windows or Office and is pretty easy to spot (3) Another answer provides the 100% correct answer and is currently scored lower.
    – e100
    Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 18:42
  • I up-voted Mike's answer. I agree that his is better. Though, to be fair I included in my answer how the retro effect could be achieved. But I agree, the impact font is easy to spot, and I should have figured that out, and that's my error. :]
    – Hanna
    Commented Mar 21, 2011 at 19:53
  • thank you for the effort and help. I appreciate that. I was not aware that there are font identification tools--now I am.
    – Mohamad
    Commented Mar 22, 2011 at 22:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.