My new company laptop and my new gaming monitor do not go well together. On the other hand, this is some flashy psychedelic art ...

Is it possible to recreate such an effect, given a source image? If yes, with which software?

I don't know what exactly happened, of course. All I know is that the image on the big monitor was set to mirror the laptop monitor. It looks to me as if the color bits got out of order.

enter image description here enter image description here

  • Clearly the large monitor is physically damage altering how the LCD screen displays data. Yes you could try and recreate something similar.. what have you tried?
    – Scott
    Jun 24, 2020 at 2:59
  • Photomosh.com might do.
    – Joonas
    Jun 24, 2020 at 8:04
  • @Scott it is not, the issue lies in the faulty HDMI interface or possibly the graphics driver of the laptop. Jun 24, 2020 at 9:42
  • 1
    @Scott I would probably try to load the image into an HTML canvas and then try some bit fiddling there, for example instead of having 0xRRGGBB trying 0xRGBRGB so each 4 bits interleaved (and the same with 1 or 2 bits interleaved). But was wondering if there is a software which has a filter that looks similar. Jun 24, 2020 at 9:44
  • There is a crack in the screen which is very visible.
    – Scott
    Jun 24, 2020 at 14:26

1 Answer 1


You could simulate something similar in Photoshop or GIMP (since I see you are using Linux). It's not a one-click effect, but you could create a colourful texture to overlay any image.

Something like this perhaps. The example is Photoshop, but it could also be achieved in GIMP.

enter image description here

To create the texture, I basically filled a layer with difference clouds, did a whacky curves adjustment to add lots of vibrant colours, and increased the saturation, then I used the pixelize filter, then the polar co-ordinates filter to make a circular affect, then I repeated the pixelization, with a smaller cell size.

An image is then placed on a layer underneath, and the top layer blending mode changed to "Lighter Color". GIMP has differently named blending modes so you'll need to experiment.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.