English is not my native language and I can't figure it out what's the name of these specifical info objects (if there ever was a name). Just to clarify a bit, I'm talking about those animated boxes that overlay some videos in order to present the name of the speaker, or the topic covered in that section, etc. Could someone help?

Edit: Here's an example from a streamer:

enter image description here

That kind of overlay I'm talking about. Thing is, I can't find a way to proper search over the internet for this specific kind of object.


I just found out after some hours of searching that it's called a lower third.

Edit: There is a great studiobinder post on their website explaining the term and its meaning:


The first time I came to the term was searching through Envato Elements's website for assets and features for my website. Here's the search page:


  • can you add some sources / references / citations for that? It would make your answer more complete and help others looking for the same thing. – Luciano Jul 23 '20 at 8:22
  • English is my native language. I've never heard that term used in that sense. "Lower third" might refer to the position of something on a screen, but not for an object itself. Do you have a reference for this? I mean it could possibly be video editing jargon, but then that wouldn't be something most native English speakers would recognize. – Billy Kerr Jul 24 '20 at 15:43
  • Added some sources there! – Italo Marinho Jul 25 '20 at 5:22
  • And apparently it is indeed a graphic term for the thing, since it narrows 100% of the objects I've described. They're really called like that. – Italo Marinho Jul 25 '20 at 5:23
  • 3
    @ItaloMarinho - looks like it is video/film-maker jargon or terminology. It's not something I've come across in graphic design. Also note that video editing questions are off-topic here. This is graphic design. In future perhaps post similar questions on Video Production Stack Exchange. – Billy Kerr Jul 25 '20 at 9:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.