I want to achieve this text effect. The references below seems a mix of stroke and a box shadow. But the shadow seems connected to text (normal text shadow is like basically another text layer just below it, displaced slightly).

There are answers here for how to do this in Illustrator and Photoshop but the drop shadows are not combined with strokes. I am not sure how to do it in Photoshop.

enter image description here enter image description here

Kindly note that I don't mean this kind of effect. It's just separated drop shadow. enter image description here

  • 1
    @Scott, is this really a duplicate? I can see how it's related, but this effect is simpler and slightly different. Can be achieved with just drop shadow and stroke. – Wolff Aug 20 '20 at 19:09
  • @Wolff In my opinion, the amount of offset is irrelevant. The technique is the same. Especially when you review the Appearance Panel method. – Scott Aug 20 '20 at 19:51
  • 1
    @Scott, this a fundamental thing about this site I don't fully understand (and I might be wrong). When you have two different questions with very similar answers, people tend to call it a duplicate. For example every question where the answer is "use a gradient map" tends to get redirected to the same old question about one specific thing even though the wanted effect might look dramatically different. Can't the same tool be used to achieve (sometimes only slightly) different things? And wouldn't it be more searchable if we keep the variations? – Wolff Aug 20 '20 at 20:39
  • 2
    @Scott I definitely agree there could be more of "what have you tried" in there :) – curious Aug 20 '20 at 20:57
  • 1
    @Vikas I think it really depends how you word it. If you take some time to describe what you've tried and put words on what you are after, I think one question is fine. Keep in mind that too many questions can be perceived as spam. – curious Aug 21 '20 at 17:44

I think this could be achieved just by combining two Layer Styles: a stroke effect with a drop shadow effect. You may have to play around with the thickness of the stroke, and angle of the drop shadow to get it to look right.

I think it's better to do something like this with layer styles because it's non-destructive, and you can edit the text

Anyway here's an example with the settings shown. The font I used was PT Sans Bold.

enter image description here

Click on the above image to see it larger.

Another method for a sharper look might be to use a 3D extrude on the text. Obviously, this will mean you have to then render the image, and that might not be practical if you don't have enough time.

Here's an example (this is midway through the render)

enter image description here

The finished result looks quite nice

enter image description here

  • Yeah. It's pretty much same what I wanted to achieve, but I feel the text corners in the reference (THIS SUMMER...) seem sharp. Not sure ho to do it. @user287001 & Billy – Vikas Aug 21 '20 at 15:35
  • @Vikas, hard to tell. – Wolff Aug 21 '20 at 15:39
  • @Wolff I mean the bigger text in that image. – Vikas Aug 21 '20 at 15:41
  • 1
    @Vikas - I've added another approach for a sharper result, using a 3D text extrusion. – Billy Kerr Aug 21 '20 at 16:20
  • 1
    @Wolff we'll discuss it on Sunday. – Vikas Aug 21 '20 at 16:45

It's a drop shadow but made in a different way for the bulged appearance.

Have a text layer. Select the text by Ctrl+Clicking the text object icon in the layers panel. Smooth the selection for ex with Refine edge or like here, apply Select > Modify > Smooth

enter image description here

Make a new bottom layer and fill the selection there with black or other color. Move the layer a little to get the drop shadow effect:

enter image description here

Insert layer style "Stroke" to the new layer. Have same color as the fill color and adjust the width:

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.