In the following image we have squared, rounded, lined and dashed objects. Each object is labeled with its name, but I have a situation between squared and rounded objects. What name would you use for this object?

enter image description here

  • Perhaps curved? – Bruno Wego Sep 24 '20 at 21:43
  • 7
    I guess it's still just "rounded", just with a smaller corner radius. The one you have named "rounded" just happens to have the same corner radius as half the height. Don't think there is a proper name, but we'll see. – Wolff Sep 24 '20 at 21:57
  • In a advanced search, looking for files with SASS extension and with btn-- prefixed in the class name, I found people, using for this case, btn--curved. – Bruno Wego Sep 24 '20 at 22:01
  • 1
    On fillets and rounds. – Mast Sep 25 '20 at 8:37
  • The are those who call it.....a squircle. – Fixed Point Sep 27 '20 at 0:09

Rounded corner or just Round Corner. Adding the "corner", to me, means there's an apparent corner as opposed to the Pill shape.

As @Wolff points out in the comment above, both the pill shape and the shape preceding it are "rounded" shapes, merely the radius of the rounding varies. So.. I'd use a more specific name for what you've labeled as "rounded".

I'd probably change the list.

  • Squared - Rounded - Pill - Lined- Dashed
  • Squared - Rounded - Stadium - Lined- Dashed
  • Squared - Rounded - Oblong - Lined- Dashed

Related: What is this shape that looks like a rectangle with rounded ends called?

  • 2
    Yes! Pill is a good name and have common use. – Bruno Wego Sep 24 '20 at 22:02
  • 3
    @Wolff you can't see my shrugggg 😃 Maybe ---- slightly hard cornered rectangle but still rounded just a little ------ slightly more round corner rectangle same as previous but with smoother corners ------ really rounded rectangle much more rounded than previous two rectangles ----- a hard, perpendicular, corner rectangle with only a stroke and no fill ----- a hard, perpendicular, corner rectangle with only a dashed stroke and no fill------ ??? Would make for some interesting buttons 😃 – Scott Sep 24 '20 at 23:16
  • 2
    @Scott, How did you get your hands on my unpublished "Concise Naming of Rectangular Objects and Their Corners"??? – Wolff Sep 24 '20 at 23:24
  • 1
    @Wolff ermm... I was reading The Guide to Ridiculous Naming Conventions Used in Denmark. -- Did you write that?? Nice......... – Scott Sep 24 '20 at 23:52
  • 2
    @Wolff In common English use "square" or "squared" has two meanings - it can either mean a rectangle with all sides having equal length or a 90 degree angle/right angle (the second meaning is used all the time in craftsmanship such as carpentry, paper sculpting, origami, machining, manufacturing etc. It is common to say things like "make sure all your joints are square") – slebetman Sep 25 '20 at 9:10

I quite like "cartouche", as a single word. This is a good alternative to "stadium" or "pill" etc for the middle symbol, but I don't have the reputation to comment that!


There is a certain class of shapes unifying the ellipse & the square, but its name isn't a common term or applicable to other generalizations. Piet Hein, who invented the Soma cube, also gave the name superellipse to a class of curves generalizing the ellipse which in the limit includes the square. It was described in Martin Gardner's Scientific American Mathematical Games column (written for the general reader). (The superellipse & its 3-D solid of revolution, the superegg, turn out to be deceivingly metastable; they tilt but return to upright when not pushed too far.)

enter image description here


I have always known that shape as a 'Roundrect'.

Historical usage: https://www.folklore.org/StoryView.py?story=Round_Rects_Are_Everywhere.txt

Reference: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/roundrect


Another suggestion, in the style of Scott's answer, for these fairly long rectangular buttons (bold text is my new suggestions).:

Squared - rounded* - round-ended - outline - dashed

* (or round-cornered)


  • "Rounded-ended" is more immediately descriptive than "stadium" or even "pill" (real pills can even be circular).
  • "Outline" fits your example where the fill matches the background; "lined" or "outlined" would also cover Lined button with faint fill
  • Pills can also be square, triangles, hexagons..etc. One need not be literal. "Pill" is very common jargon used to describe the shape in design circles. – Scott Sep 26 '20 at 9:19

If I want to draw that shape in AutoCAD, I start with a rectangle and then fillet the corners. So by AutoCAD conventions, your shape is a filleted rectangle or a filleted box.


How about 'Beveled'? thats what its called in blender (3d modelling program)

  • 1
    Bevel is usually a straight edge, like a chamfer, not a round one. It's just rounded. – Luciano Oct 2 '20 at 9:37
  • Hi Riley, thanks for your answer. As stated by others, I think 'beveled' means something different, as evidenced by a quick Google search. – PieBie Dec 26 '20 at 13:24

A mixture of words can be fun: Squounded

  • 2
    downvoters may be surprised to learn that squircles exist. – Cee McSharpface Sep 26 '20 at 16:09
  • @CeeMcSharpface although squircles exist, squounded doesn't and it's a horrid word just to describe a rounded rectangle. – Luciano Oct 2 '20 at 9:39
  • @Luciano That's a rather moist opinion. – dstrube Oct 2 '20 at 14:10

Maybe "Roundly Truncated"?

  • Hello This One, judging by the 4 downvotes, people are not liking your answer much. No worries, that's quite OK. Don't hesitate to keep contributing to the site. – PieBie Dec 26 '20 at 13:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.