I am trying to remove the film artifact on the left of this image. Can anyone help? I am not very good at photoshop. Thank you!



What I would do is try to create a mask for a curves adjustment. In the example below I used the image itself to create the mask, painting most of it black, and using a brush in overlay mode in white to strengthen the inside white parts of the mask.

This is only a start, but it will get you to a point where you could use the clone stamp to paint out the defects left behind, and perhaps use the dodge and burn tools.

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate your taking the time to illustrate this! – Neuroguy Oct 14 at 20:59

There isn't enough data to restore most of the head. You can use a curves layer with a mask to selectively darken the affected area. Where it's completely blown out, you'll have to manually recreate the image. Clone stamp will do the trick on some spots. In others, you may have to paint it in, or borrow features from another photo (or perhaps the other people in this photo).

The end result isn't going to be perfect, but you can make it look presentable with some work.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you, this is very helpful. I wonder if a principal component analysis or an independent component analysis of the image might help? Or maybe finding the signal in the frequency domain (in the FFT), erasing it, and applying the inverse FFT? – Neuroguy Oct 14 at 5:17
  • @Neurology the fft might find the outlines of your bloom, ie creating the mask (But thats easily do manually too) then subract and normalize. But in general asking about mathematics on graphics design is a bit futile – joojaa Oct 14 at 5:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.