I want to call them "dielines" because they are for a die but I know that means something else to designers. I don't want to call them "cut lines" because they may also include score or perforation paths. I am currently working on an app that generates SVG designs for cutter/plotters or laser cutters and am having a hard time with naming.

  • 1
    ...ermm.. dielines. What else do you think it means?
    – Scott
    Commented Dec 6, 2020 at 5:12
  • @scott - perhaps the OP is confusing it with the homophone"dyelines" which were prints made using a kind of contact printing technology for making copies of line drawings/plans? These were sometimes also referred to as "blueprints" or "diazo prints".
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Dec 6, 2020 at 10:48
  • Hmm, I heard it could refer to those little L marks on the corners of a print but now that I do more research it seems like that's the right term, whoops, thanks for confirming @scott
    – J. Barca
    Commented Dec 6, 2020 at 16:47
  • 2
    @J.Barca those little L shaped marks are called "crop marks". They're used for trimming a print job with a guillotine.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Dec 6, 2020 at 18:06
  • @BillyKerr, fun fact: 1977 was the last year a person was guillotined in France.
    – Joonas
    Commented Dec 10, 2020 at 7:58

1 Answer 1


Yep, they're called die lines!

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.