Indentation and Alignment

In the image, "dolor sit" line is "indented" and "aligned". If you pull that line all the way to the first column, it would be "unindented and unaligned". What would be a single word/phase for the action of "unindenting and unaligning" something?

That is, I'm looking for a word/phrase that means "the action of undoing indentation and alignment". I feel like just "unindent" or "dedent" doesn't cut it, because it is also aligned, not just indented.

  • Would unpositioned work for you? I can't work out if that covers the definitions of both words.
    – William Pennanti
    Feb 1, 2021 at 13:39
  • Possibly. I would like it more if it sounds more "technical" though 😊
    – Utku
    Feb 1, 2021 at 13:42
  • 1
    Hmm, I understand, I'll scratch my head a bit more and see what I can find
    – William Pennanti
    Feb 1, 2021 at 13:43

2 Answers 2


Flush left

Flush left, for most English language typesetting, means to align text on the left side without indents or any odd alignment. Indents, or specific variations beyond the flush left, would be specified in addition to specifying the flush left.

In typesetting and editing, flush left is indicated by an open left bracket ... [ See image below.

enter image description here

[ image source: http://thinkingwithtype.com/extras/ ]


You can use the verb to justify or its participle justified. M-W defines "justify as:

to space (lines of text) so that the lines come out even at the margin; to make even by spacing lines of text

  • e.g. justified margins

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.