I need to add a glass effect to the picture so it looks like a real item. I tried to search but I could not find any good solutions.

I attached a photo of the real item and a design

enter image description here

enter image description here

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

  • See this possibly related answer
    – Billy Kerr
    Mar 15, 2021 at 22:40
  • The only hint of "it has glass surface" in image 1 is the not so clear reflection and maybe the not so bright refraction near the edge. Cannot you insert a transparent layer of your own portrait onto the image? Straight on the face view cannot have anything else. Try layer opacity say =10% for a start. One example (the portrait photo is replaced by a clipart drawing) i.sstatic.net/jAr6G.png
    – user82991
    Mar 16, 2021 at 19:32
  • Thanks for the ideas. I will try it today. @user287001 where did you get my portrait photo? lol
    – A R
    Mar 16, 2021 at 22:25
  • User Billy Kerr inserted a link to a case where he shows a working way to create a plausible reflection from so long distance that it presents nothing identifiable. Check it at first.
    – user82991
    Mar 16, 2021 at 22:55

2 Answers 2


Answer: Reflections

A first approach

The second image is an illustration. If we want to keep the Illustration look I would just add "flat" reflections. A shape with gradient transparency.

Different shapes will suggest different volumes.

enter image description here

More complex reflections

Take one photo suitable to be a reflection and deform it with some spherize effect, then put it over your image with some blending mode, like add.

enter image description here

Try to add a suitable background and integrate them with a shadow.

enter image description here

I dimed the circle a bit, to integrate it more to the muddy background.

enter image description here

The Real deal

The truth is that a real 3D program can make things more realistic. You can add real lights for reflections.

enter image description here

Add an image as a reflection

enter image description here

Add a background

enter image description here

Or change the shape of the 3D object.

enter image description here

Here is a simple setup. (A) Volume with glass material and a circle with your texture.

(B) an image as a light emission as a reflection

(C) A background.

enter image description here

Here is a close-up of the 3D object (a short cylinder with some rounded bevel) and the glass material.

As I want only reflections, not refractions, it is mostly a glossy and transparent material.

It is made in Blender.

enter image description here

An edition.

This is very lazy work. I should have edited the image for the reflection, making it more contrasted. Probably something like this. I only noticed it when I posted the images. (the same with the background)

enter image description here


Adding the background in the post, not in the render will give you more control to integrate the image with curves. (the floating shadow is not a shadow but a misalignment on the "glass 3D object with the object with your design... still a lazy work)

enter image description here


  • 1
    Wow. You're so good at this.
    – Vikas
    Mar 18, 2021 at 12:34
  • 1
    I am very impressed with your answer. What 3d program did you use in the provided example?
    – A R
    Mar 20, 2021 at 21:48
  • Blender. It is free and great.
    – Rafael
    Mar 21, 2021 at 1:14
  • I thought Blender was the name of components :) Thanks a lot!
    – A R
    Mar 21, 2021 at 2:43

The glass effect in an image by Photoshop is a built-in facility. Hence, you can add a photoshop glass filter from the Filter>Filter Gallary>Distort>Glass.

  • 2
    Photoshop's Glass filter will not do anything similar to the example image. The question isn't about the specific word "glass". It's about the desired appearance.
    – Scott
    Mar 16, 2021 at 20:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.