So I got PS a few days ago, and I've been working around a bit.

I was wondering what it was when someone snaps a layer to another one and it has like an arrow down on to the layer, and it colors any objects in the layer, how do I do it.

Sorry if it's already answered, I didn't really know what to search as I don't know the name of it.


1 Answer 1


It's called a clipping mask.

  1. Hold down Alt and move your mouse over the line that separates the two layers.

  2. When the cursor changes to this enter image description here, click it.

enter image description here

Note: You can also select a layer and in the main menu do Layer > Create Clipping Mask, or alternatively you can use the shortcut Ctrl+Alt+G

  • Maybe it's worth mentioning that it's located in menu Layer > Create Clipping Mask Commented Apr 11, 2021 at 11:14
  • @SergeyKritskiy - done!
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Apr 11, 2021 at 11:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.