I'm looking to get this sort of effect on my photo with the vintage type look with a red coloured highlight, I'm using photoshop & have tried using threshold color but the look doesn't come out very similar. Specifically the highlights don't look great. Does anyone know a good way to reproduce something like this in photoshop? Or the techniques they are using to do this?

enter image description here

  • 1
    I believe what makes you like this image isn't just one effect. The coloring can be easily achieved by using a Gradient Map (search for it on this site). But just applying that to any image won't make it look like this. It's a collage of different elements which have been melted together by manipulating the photos to look a bit like a drawing and adding different kinds of texture and noise.
    – Wolff
    May 22, 2021 at 10:40

1 Answer 1


I assume you want to get something similar to the human figures, and that you have already removed any background. So here's one method to get something similar.

Here's the image I used enter image description here

  1. Turn your image layer into a Smart Object, and do Filters > Camera RAW, and use settings similar to those shown below. The idea here is to try to add extra contrast to the image to make it look a bit like an illustration.

enter image description here

  1. Next, sample the colours of your original example to create a gradient something like this

enter image description here

  1. Do Filter > Artistic > Poster Edges, with settings as shown

enter image description here

  1. Do Filter > Sharpen > Smart Sharpen, with settings as shown

enter image description here

  1. Apply the gradient you made previously as a Gradient Map adjustment Layer

Here's the finished result. I added some gradients as a background. Note all the filters and adjustments here are non-destructive, so you can edit and tweak everything until you get the desired effect.

enter image description here

  • My hero lol, Thank you!
    – user
    May 24, 2021 at 3:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.