In Photoshop, on a transparent layer, I have an area with a black-to-white gradient. I want to turn it to a red-to-white gradient, so that pure black (0,0,0) becomes pure red (255,0,0). In the example below, I would want to turn the top bar into the bottom one.

enter image description here

I don't want to re-draw anything, since the gradient has a particular shape. I want to modify the existing image. How do I do this?


I would add a solid red layer and make it clipping mask, with blend mode Screen:

enter image description here

(Not sure about accuracy, but it should help)

Or for exact 255, 0, 0 you can use Gradient Overlay in Blending options:

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • Thanks, it works :) I chose "Lighten" for the mode, instead of "Screen". I don't know if "Screen" would correctly preserve the relative gray values.
    – MrSparkly
    Jul 6 '21 at 18:42
  • @MrSparkly yeah both modes seemed to work same for me.
    – Vikas
    Jul 6 '21 at 18:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.