Transparency does not seem to be working with cut/paste within GIMP. I have used GIMP on Windows before without this issue, but I'm wondering if this is an issue with with GIMP on Linux (on a Chromebook). I'm trying to cut images and paste them with transparent backgrounds, but it isn't working. Here's a very simple example to show what is happening:
- Setup: Just to make sure I wasn't doing something silly to start after experiencing this issue. I upgraded to the latest version, GIMP 2.10.24 and I did a reset on my preferences (other than unchecking "use tool groups")
- Set forecolor to red and background to white.
- Create new canvas. It creates a blank background in white as expected.
- Create new transparent layer. (gimp1.png)
- Hide Background and click on new transparent layer. Confirm this layer is selected and that Alpha is visible.
- Create oval with Ellipse Select and fill with red. (gimp2.png)
- Use Fuzzy Select tool to select red oval. Ctrl-X. Ctrl-V. Floating Selection created as expected. However, I see a black background instead of transparent as expected. (gimp3.png)
- Right-click on floating selection and choose "To New Layer". Still black background filling in square around oval rather than transparent as expected. (gimp4.png)
- File/export as : make sure file is png. (gimp5.png)
- I would expect the output to be just the red circle with transparent background, but instead, the black around the red still appears in the png file. (gimpoutput.png)
Thoughts on what is happening?