A client has just asked me if we can package their new album as in this photograph:

Unknown CD packaging type

I've never seen one of these before. Web searches not helping too much. Looks like the outer box is made of plastic. Hard to tell from this angle whether it's square (which would be logical given the contents) or portrait in format (looks like there's more sky in the box picture than on the CD wallet).

Does anyone know what this is called?

  • 1
    I think the box is square and not made of plastic, but cardboard. I found this image where it's clear to see. Search for the album online. At Discogs, they seem to just call it a box set with 2 CDs. Might have a more precise name.
    – Wolff
    Jul 28, 2021 at 16:29
  • I suspect you're right about this. Thanks for helping with the narrowing down.
    – mtm
    Jul 29, 2021 at 8:17

1 Answer 1


This looks more like a full telescoping hinged rigid box made of non-bending board with a printed wrap. If you look at the top left corner, the cover telescopes over the bottom tray.

If you look at this image, it gives a closer, more detailed look:


Looking closely at the above image, I can also see the wrap edges.

The item holding the DVD is a sleeve closed on 3 sides. All of these items go into the box.

  • 2
    For sure a "rigid box" also frequently called a "rigid clam-shell box"
    – Yorik
    Jul 28, 2021 at 17:43
  • Thanks – terrific answer! It does look like board in these other pictures. Somehow it didn't occur to me to look for this specific release rather than try to find generic packaging options. I've got some vocabulary to take to my usual manufacturing contacts now!
    – mtm
    Jul 29, 2021 at 8:19
  • remember to spec the interior dimension of the box to the size of the largest (trim size) item (sleeve/booklet)
    – Yorik
    Jul 29, 2021 at 15:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.