What icon would best convey "Make a new post"? Can't think of any, considering just spelling out "Make a new post" instead.
Some quick ideas:
- Piece of paper with a plus sign on it.
- Pencil icon to represent "Compose", could be on paper as well.
- Plus sign within a button that is a color that stands out. If the page is all white with hints of blue, make the button a green color for example.
- A plus sign in a speech bubble.
- Any of these ideas with the text "New Thread", "New Post" etc., could work as well.
Assuming that wordpress are the people who have reserched this the best I thought it worth taking a look at what they use. They use a pin icon to illustrate 'post'. Going with the theame that the blog is more like a noticeboard than anything thats actually posted. The other examples I have seen are all a little too generic to really comunicate what you are doing.
The pin is also used on sites like Pinterest to link to something, to communicate that you are creating something I would make the button Red. Which thanks to Google is now the colour for a button that creates something. (with other colours reserved for other types of buttons). I nottice it's orange on stack exchange, which is one of the most used colours for a call to action and could also work.
Still definutely worth writting the text in aswell tho. Good luck.
It depends a bit on how large you want the icon te be displayed and still be recognisable. Ideas that pop up in my mind are a fountain pen (or maybe just the pen's nib), a set of radially arranged lines
or a star over a blank sheet of paper.
A traditional 'new document' icon might also work: a rectangle with a dog ear on the bottom right corner.