I have been seeing these blurred backgrounds all over the place, so I would like to know the exact steps how to reproduce something like this . What I can imagine, is that they first blurred an image/gradient with a gaussian blur. But there has to be something more to it, right ?

enter image description here

+) How do I correctly use a gradient instead of a picture?

  • 3
    There really isn't. It's either an image or gradient, or multiple semi-transparent gradients, blurred out and a elyptical vignette to finish it off. Everything else is just tweaking those settings.
    – KMSTR
    Jan 30, 2013 at 12:16
  • Like the others show, it's really just strongly blurred image. Create a gradient, then use a (gaussian, most likely) blur. That's it.
    – paddotk
    Jan 30, 2013 at 18:30

2 Answers 2


I created a similar effect with the Gaussian Blur tool in Photoshop set to a 60 px radius.

enter image description here enter image description here

Of course, you can do this with any photo where you like the color shifts, your sample reminded me of a beach, so I found a beach photo on Wikimedia.

Another way you can do it is by creating the shapes you want and then applying a Gaussian blur to them:

enter image description here enter image description here

  • +1 for a good example of using one filter with either a photo/picture or color blocking. Jan 31, 2013 at 21:22

One method: you can shoot a photo with your mobile camera behind frosted glass.

Another: make your DSLR camera lens out of focus sufficiently in your viewfinder and shoot.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.