I need a template to design something like this, but I don't know the proper term for it.

Does anyone know what this type of design is called, when categories cut through on the right side of a catalogue ?

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


These can be called index tabs, index dividers or cut-out tabs.


This is a step tab design. Since there seems to be 11 tabs, they're called 1/11th cut, or bank of 11. The tabs themselves are usually 1/2" wider than the pages they're separating. So if the page is 8-1/2 X 11, then the tab is 9 X 11. The cover should be as wide as the tabs so the tabs don't get bent when the cover is closed - similar to the image you show.

The stock for the tabs is heavier than the stock for the pages, usually a cover weight.

These are stock dies so if you contact your vendor, he'd be able to provide a template. You can also find some stock designs online - here's a sample set of different banks:


Any additional info you need, stay in touch.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.