Saw this on a twitter's celebrity. How do you achieve this? What phone app could do this? Many thanks enter image description here

  • If you search for "anaglyph effect", you'll likely find a phone app that can do it. For example, the Google Play store shows several. Just a note, this probably isn't a real 3D anaglyph, but a fake anaglyph effect.
    – Billy Kerr
    Jan 16, 2022 at 16:13

1 Answer 1


It has 3 copies of the image in separate layers, moved horizontally a half of the face width apart and colorized differently.

enter image description here

They are combined with layer blending mode ADD - the top layer (=Original) which contains in the middle placed non-colorized version, has it.

In the left there's the red version and in the right there's the cyan version. One gets them by applying Image > Adjust > Hue/Saturation > Colorize in Photoshop:

enter image description here

Alternative: Colorization to red is possible also by closing the green and blue channels of an RGB image. Coloring to cyan happens when one closes the red channel. Photoshop's Hue/Saturation > Colorize gives more control.

The background of the faces are removed and finally a new black background is inserted.

Layer blending mode ADD causes easily clipping. Both colorized versions have a masked curves layer (with the next image layer only -switch ON) to reduce their brightnesses on the areas below the original.

The half-cyan slice on the middle version does not look right, it should be neutral. One can reduce the saturation of the cyan version below the original with another adjustment layer:

enter image description here

In theory this could be made as well in GIMP, Krita, Paint.NET etc... but making it is handy only in programs which have adjustment layers and layer masks. Krita and web service Photopea are such ones available for free.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.