Note that I'm not referring to the shiny / chrome look, just the actual shapes themselves.

It's hard to even find the words to describe them — I'd say tangled-looking / tribal-esque shapes.

I can't quite tell if they were made in 3D software, but I feel that is irrelevant.

Do I just need to bite the bullet and sketch them out before then drawing them manually with the pen tool (say in Illustrator)... or is there an easier way?

I did try to experiment with the image trace function in Illustrator, using stock photos of plant roots... but the results were a bit sloppy.

enter image description here


1 Answer 1


This is for Illustrator. I would start with the Pen Tool, and draw a kind of random squiggly shape, then use the Warp Tool to add complexity.

Repeat several times with overlapping shapes until you have a tangled mess.

A quick example

enter image description here

  • Oooh I had no idea the warp tool even existed... thanks
    – user162296
    Mar 20, 2022 at 14:51
  • 1
    @user19860331 - there are several other distortion tools that could be used under that tool group too. Check them out - crystallize, pucker, bloat, twirl, scallop, wrinkle.
    – Billy Kerr
    Mar 20, 2022 at 14:54
  • That's great thanks
    – user162296
    Mar 20, 2022 at 14:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.