What is the best way to describe these type of visual patterns of diagonals stacked on top of each other? Is this a type of style or pattern with a proper name?

enter image description here

enter image description here

1 Answer 1


Those are two separate patterns..

The top one "cobblestone" perhaps... Although it's a bit loose.
It's really just a simple diamond/square pattern.

The bottom one.. "scales" as in fish scales.

  • They are 2 distinct things but the patterns are similar. Cobblestone patterns vary. So do scales. I'm referring to the idea of diagonals stacked onto each other. I'm talking about the arrangement not the object
    – Writ Loax
    Commented Apr 6, 2022 at 23:06
  • 1
    I'm sorry.. I feel a "scales" pattern is exactly what you are referring to. Your first image is nothing more than a pattern fo squares... nothing overlaps and it's not diagonal if the camera perspective was changed.
    – Scott
    Commented Apr 6, 2022 at 23:23
  • commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/… are these scales? Do they look the same as the scales in the 2nd picture?
    – Writ Loax
    Commented Apr 6, 2022 at 23:26
  • in the post, the rows don't sit next to each other. The stones and scales are adjacent to each other only in the diagonal not the row.
    – Writ Loax
    Commented Apr 6, 2022 at 23:28
  • Yes that's a scale pattern.. no it's not the same scale pattern as the image in the question. But chicken is chicken, whether fried, baked or boiled. You're implying this may be blue, but that means this can't also be blue. And the cobblestone is not a diamond or diagonal.. the camera is placed so it *looks like diagonals. but walk ~15 paces to the left .. it's squares and not diagonal.
    – Scott
    Commented Apr 6, 2022 at 23:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.