On some illustrations, you will see an ornate underline beneath text, with curlicues:

Enter image description here

What is the technical name for this design element?


2 Answers 2


These can go by various names, such as: flourishes, ornaments, or scrolls, depending on the look. A flourish might refer to something more ornate. Ornaments more generally speaking. A scroll shape at its most basic.

For example, these kind of scroll shapes

enter image description here


I think they are called Swirls. And of course, there's different types - like Floral Swirls or Ornate swirls and such.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.