I have been searching for how can I create a similar effect to this. I found that it is known as the glitch effect and could only be achieved by using a scanner, and since I don't have a scanner, I wanted to ask if is there any way to create the same effect using Adobe Photoshop? I have tried using the Pinch, Liquify and Scratches filters, but they did not work.

enter image description here

  • This Link might help you find your answer. Commented Jun 27, 2022 at 10:58
  • While I have no idea how you might achieve that effect with or without a scanner, I feel the need to ask why you don't have one? Can people in your district not buy used scanners for pocket change? Commented Jun 28, 2022 at 19:50

1 Answer 1


Here's one possible method . . .

Make sure everything is just one layer - flatten all layers if necessary.

Create a new transparent layer above, and using the Clone tool, Clone little pieces of text somewhat randomly onto this new layer.

Something like this perhaps

enter image description here

Use the Smudge tool with a textured brush tip to drag across some of the cloned letters

enter image description here

Finally, change the layer blending mode to Hard Light, or experiment with the various blend modes.

enter image description here

You could also experiment with different kinds of brush tips for different smudge effects, or add similar extra layers with different blend modes, etc

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.