I'd like to find a font in which the letter "x" looks like the unicode character U+1D4CD: MATHEMATICAL SCRIPT SMALL X, that is,


in the style which you would write by hand with two curved vertical strokes, )(. Any suggestions?

  • That looks like the math font used by LaTex. Try CMU Classical Serif Oblique or Latin Modern Roman Italic
    – r3mainer
    Aug 5, 2022 at 22:45
  • 1
    Thank you very much! Indeed, this request came from mathematics writing: one uses this style for the letter "x" to distinguish it from the symbol "times". I checked out the two fonts you suggested and indeed the "x" is exactly what I wanted, but they turn out to have another problem for mathematics writing: they are "italic"/"oblique" fonts and symbols like +, = display with a slant.
    – anonymous
    Aug 10, 2022 at 21:41
  • @anonymous The x style that you’re specifying is italic – it’s a handwritten script style. You’re not likely to find any regular, upright fonts whose normal letter x is italic and scripty while the rest is normal. The CMU family linked to above has an Upright Oblique version, which has the italic designs of letters, but without slanting. It sort of looks terrible, but that sort of thing may be the closest you’re going to get. But why do you want this in a font? Aug 11, 2022 at 7:19


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.