what is that effect that makes it look like a camera was rotated 20 degrees or so while taking the shot? it makes it kind of rounded at the edges, like this:

enter image description here

migrated from photo.stackexchange.com Apr 7 '11 at 2:56

This question came from our site for professional, enthusiast and amateur photographers.

  • Not sure this is on topic... – Jay Lance Photography Apr 4 '11 at 1:11
  • @Jay - I'm sure... it's not. – John Cavan Apr 4 '11 at 3:23
  • @John - OK, I actually was sure it wasn't on topic, but I was trying to be 'non-confrontational.' (Whatever that means)... :-) – Jay Lance Photography Apr 4 '11 at 8:33
  • it's photo editing.... – tekknolagi Apr 4 '11 at 23:46
  • sorry...at least its already answered and you can forget about it – tekknolagi Apr 5 '11 at 22:34

Looks like a radial blur. In photoshop you'd select Filter > Blur > Radial Blur and select the "Spin" option (as opposed to "Zoom").

  • is it available in the GIMP? – tekknolagi Apr 3 '11 at 23:17
  • 3
    In GIMP it is located under Filters > Blur > Motion Blur, where you then select 'Radial'. – Sean Apr 3 '11 at 23:28

Radial blur.

It's available in most of photo editing software.


To produce that image, it looks like a radial blur has been overlaid on top of the original image with partial transparency so that you still see the sharp details through the blur.

  1. Duplicate the current layer
  2. Set the new layer to 50% opacity
  3. Add radial blur (a type of motion blur) to top layer

A radial blur on its own would be blurry at the corners, but in the above example it's still possible to read "search here" on the top right or "Canada College" on the top left.

  • thank you very much!! this was by far the most helpful answer – tekknolagi Apr 5 '11 at 22:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.