Searching for name of effect

I want to design posters and I have stumbled upon this effect often, but I don't know what it is called. Thus I haven't been able to look for tutorials.

I am not talking about the colors or the ripped paper but the way the image has been transformed into dots of either of the two colors.

I am using GIMP and Inkscape. So, if you know how to do it in those applications I would be happy to hear about it.

I am also open to other applications as long as they are free open source software (FOSS). Of course, I am also grateful for just knowing what the effect is called.

Picture of Kim Jong-Un with the requested effect

Picture of Trump with the requested effect

  • 1
    Whenever you post material on Stack Exchange, you are doing so under a CC-BY-SA license. If you don't have the right to use these images, then you shouldn't be posting them here.
    – r3mainer
    Oct 21, 2022 at 18:38
  • 1
    You can create halftone effects using raster software. GIMP is free. Try that.
    – Billy Kerr
    Oct 21, 2022 at 18:54
  • 2
    I "quoted" the images so they won't be attributed the CC-By-SA license.
    – Scott
    Oct 21, 2022 at 20:12

1 Answer 1


The first image has a halftone effect applied. The second image has an etched portrait effect, or an engraving effect. You may also see these referred to as screen effects, in reference to an element used in the printing process for such images.

You will find free halftone brushes for various applications. Inkscape is FOSS that can create vector halftones.

  • 1
    Thanks! this was the information i needed.
    – Oskar
    Oct 22, 2022 at 20:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.