I have tried a few font identification services, to no avail. It seems to me this should be pretty easy to figure out, given the opinionated letterforms of E, Ö or R, but I've so far been unsuccessful. I have a hunch it could be a well-known classic that I've probably seen many times before. Maybe somebody knows.

enter image description here

I'd appreciate any help or pointers in the right direction! Thanks in advance!

  • Hi. Welcome to GDSE. This looks like it's part of a metal structure. There's a possibility that it isn't an actual font as such, but something which was custom designed. Not everything is necessarily a font you can download.
    – Billy Kerr
    Commented Mar 25, 2023 at 18:03
  • It is certainly possible, but I figure the chance that people use a preexisting typeface is also quite high, given that it's faster and easier. Maybe some of the characters were modified, but I'm guessing most of them are part of an actual typeface.
    – oelna
    Commented Mar 26, 2023 at 14:00

1 Answer 1


Just to follow up here: I have not been able to find a definitive answer for what we're looking at here, but the best guess is, it's a modified version of ITC Avant Garde.

my quick attempt at reconstructing this Avant Garde based lettering

The umlauts have been modified to be more easily mountable, with fewer points of contact needed. As for the E, I have no idea what's going on here; why it looks like a version of the Euro currency sign, when Avant Garde has a perfectly fine uppercase E and also an official round alternate style, that would have looked better!

Some of the numbers were adjusted, too, but I will not investigate further.

comparison of two forms of the uppercase E in Avant Garde

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.