I want to imply what I did in A/B to B/C.

I want to make what I did between the letters A and B but between the letters B and C. For the first one I used a tiny rectangle and I'm not sure if this is the correct and easiest way to do it as I'm struggling with B and C.

How do I achieve this the most effective way possible and what is this even called in graphic design language?

  • 1
    It would be called an "offset" possibly, or maybe a "knockout". Are you okay with white in the offset (see Billy's answer) or do you what that offset area to be gone, non-existent, transparent?
    – Scott
    Jul 11, 2023 at 21:27
  • Thanks! I used what Billy suggested, but you're right, I was actually looking for a transparent outcome (didn't really realize at the moment of posting my question). So what I did after applying a stroke was using a Minus Front Pathfinder to make it transparent.
    – valentine
    Jul 12, 2023 at 14:20

1 Answer 1


If the letters are individual text objects, you could apply a white stroke and fill in the Appearance panel. Just make sure you click and drag the fill above the stroke, so that the stroke is behind the fill and doesn't eat into the letter itself.

enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.