I occasionally come across a symbol that looks like this:

enter image description here

It looks to me like some sort of stylized heart, or maybe some kind of fruit on a branch. It is often used to separate blocks of text, for example on book covers that are trying to appear elegant. I most recently saw it in this New York Times Op-Art by Ben Schott (may require subscription).

Does this symbol have a name?


1 Answer 1


Generically, it's called a "fleuron". Some specifically call it an "aldus leaf".

A fleuron is essentially an ornamental typographic character. The Aldus Leaf being a commonly used one.

More information: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleuron_(typography)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.