So, I have several objects that are touching. I want to create an invisible borderline between them. I know I could just move the object apart but then I lose the the right position of the object. Is there a way to do this?
These are just basic, general steps regarding how to randomly remove a portion of a shape. What's shown below may not be exactly precise for your needs, but should cover the general methodology to utilize.
- Draw a secondary path with a stroke.
- Align this new stroke so it covers the area you want removed.
- Expand the stroke so it's a shape.
- Select this new shape and the shapes you want to remove portions of.
- Use the Shape Builder Tool to remove that section.
The key is to align the new shape properly with the underlying shape(s). (Or to correct the slivers of shapes which may result after Shape Builder due to improper alignment.)
There are other related questions here which may assist further: